Romans 1:15

So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
Romans 1:15

26 May 2013

Chapter Six: The 9th Epistle of Anziano Stewart to the People of Italy

 26 Maggio 2013
Hola... er ciao!!! Hows everyone doing?

The weeks are really speeding up and slowing down. It's weird.... But we are doing so much that the day seems like it will never end but the week just flies by!
Anyway, this week went really well, I spent a lot of time thinking about Matthew 13:33 where Jesus teaches the parable of the leaven.  We are the leaven (yeast) in the world, and the only way that we will be able to lift the world is through our influence.  We can't just sit at home and always read the scriptures and say that we have obtained salvation because we must act.  It comes back to the principle of how we are agents unto ourselves and we must act.

God put us here (in a family, job, on a mission, or calling) to act and to help "lift" the world.  If we fail to do this, we have failed.  I really like this parable because there are many people who will make suggestions and say "if only we did this as a church..."  or "the things you see nowadays are just terrible" .... do something about it.  Too often we under estimate our potential influence. I don't want to sound like I'm on a high horse I've just found that thinking about what Jesus was trying to teach has really motivated me to try and have a bigger and better influence.

I'm glad that Abby is doing well, it was a really long email that she wrote... I'm surprised that she got all that in in only 30 minutes! Impressive!  It sounds like the MTC is just treating her nicely!  I especially like the part on meetings... I've found that is one of the things that all new converts have to accept and adjust to..... meeting after meeting, ha, ha, ha!

Anziano Gemmell shared with me quotation that one of his friends found in "Pathways to Perfection" by Thomas S. Monson (Mattie, you should read this one!) anyway, it said,

"“A man without a purpose in life

Is as a ship without a rudder,

A waif, a nothing, a nobody.

Have a purpose in your life,

And having it, throw such

Strength and muscle and brain into your work

As God has given you.”

Thomas Carlyle

Then I thought about what my purpose is as a missionary, invite others to come to Christ.  There isn't a better cause to put all your strength, muscle, and brain into. 

This Sunday was so nice! the Bishop talked about becoming missionary minded members.  He shared the story of when Brigham Young at general conference called for people to help the Willie Martin handcart companies.  And how he needed them to leave right away, that same day.   They didn't have time to waste or to perfect a certain skill, only those who were prepared could go and help these lost souls "home".  It was such a great talk! The spirit was so strong.

As a ward we have a goal to have 70 baptisms from the start of this year to the dedication of the temple, so far we are doing pretty well but there is still a long way to go.  I'm so excited to be assigned here.  I can't remember if I've told you but we have a "zona magica" where we try to focus our work because it is near the temple and we are seeing a ton of success! Last year the ward was split in half and we are back to the numbers that we were at last year.  It's incredible!  I love this work!

I can't wait to hear from you, maybe you'll catch me still on... Have a great week!!! 

A presto! VVB
--
"Look inside yourself, you're more than what you've become.  Remember who you are."  The Lion King
Anziano Stewart

p.s. I might not be able to write next week until Friday or so... we're going to be driving to Sicily and then to Bari to drop off supplies, do exchanges and have Zone Conferences.  We'll be out for about a week or so, just thought I should let you know so that if I don't write on Sunday you don't start fretting.

No comments:

Post a Comment